Introducing Automations for Field Service Management
Field technicians, as part of their service workflow, are required to execute certain repetitive tasks each day. These tasks improve information dissemination across teams, ensure that the documentation for every service request or task is up-to-date, and help visibility and coordination between helpdesk and field teams. These tasks are of paramount importance for your support and field teams to function smoothly. For example,
- Creating a service task when a ticket is created or updated that requires a field technician to be dispatched
- Updating the status for a service task and adding a note to the ticket when a field technician has completed their task, or
- Assigning new tasks to the right service groups based on the type or priority of the issue faced by the customer or urgency of the request. When new service tasks are created, they need to be assigned to the right service groups based on the type of problem faced by the customer or urgency of the task.
Separately, these tasks might not take up much time. But, when taken together, the time collectively consumed by them can affect the productivity of your team and as a result, the growth of your field service operations. Also, as your field service operations scale, the complexity and repetition add up and processes take longer, affecting the customer experience.
To take care of these repetitive tasks and simplify your support workflows, we built Automations for Freshdesk Field Service Management.
Automations for Field Service Management
With Automations, you can save time and effort for your support teams by building rules with three simple steps. These rules convert repetitive tasks into automated workflows that intelligently execute exactly when needed.
Examples of Automations for Field Service Management
While no two industries approach field service the same way, there are workflows that are common to field service management. Here are a few examples of reducing effort with respect to repetitive manual tasks:
- Automate work/task assignment: When a ticket is created (or updated), and it indicates that a field technician needs to be dispatched, automatically create a new service task associated with the ticket. E.g: If ‘Type’ = ‘Dispatch field tech’, then create a new service task.
- Share information with field teams in real-time: When a customer replies to a ticket, add it as a note to the service task for the field technician to view.
- Send real-time updates to helpdesk agents: When a field technician updates a service task, add a note to the primary ticket informing the helpdesk team and the customer. E.g: If service task status changes to “Waiting for parts”, add it as a private note to the ticket so the helpdesk agents can proactively set the right expectations with the customer.
Note: This is far from a comprehensive list. The above are just a few examples of automations you can set up on Freshdesk.
Automating your Field Service Operations
Automations for Field Service Management can be run under two conditions
- When a service task is newly created: For example, a customer calls a garage and complains that their car has broken down. When your helpdesk agent creates a service task with the subject as “ Car Breakdown”, you can use Automations to automatically assign that task to the “Tow Trucks” group.
- When a service task is updated: For example, a mechanic goes out to meet the customer, tows their car back to the garage, and fixes the issue. When the mechanic updates their service task to “Resolved”, a note can be automatically added to the customer’s ticket asking them to pick up the car and set the ticket status to “Resolved” as well.
Any automation rule for Freshdesk Field Service Management can be created with just three simple steps.
Impact and Benefits of FSM Automations
Automations for Field Service Management relieve agents, field service managers, and field technicians from many time-consuming and cumbersome tasks and processes that keep your team from delivering stellar field service.
With Automations for Field Service Management, you can:
- Simplify workflows for field teams: A smooth handoff of incoming customers from helpdesk teams to field teams by automations ensures it is easier for your field teams to pick up from where the helpdesk teams left off. By handling task assignment and task updates intelligently, automations also ensure that your field technicians will not be blindsided by customer issues in the field.
- Reduce the workload on helpdesk agents: Helpdesk agents can focus more on responding to customers’ queries and coordinating field responses. They no longer need to manually update customer information for every task since Freshdesk automations keep information between helpdesk tickets and service tasks in sync.
- Admins can focus on improving performance: With automations taking care of task assignments, status tracking, and following up on unresolved tasks, admins and managers will be able to focus on team goals and performance improvement initiatives, reducing the time they spend on individual service tasks and queries.
Want to start streamlining your workflows and improve productivity? Sign up here to try Automations for Freshdesk Field Service Management and get started! For step-by-step help on setting up automations, click here.